Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Ultimate Comfort Food


Accoring to The All-New Southern Living Cookbook, "banana pudding just might be the ultimate comfort food." I have to agree. Banana pudding has always been my favorite dessert. My husband's business partner requested one this weekend, so I attempted making one for the 2nd time. I made one once before and it just didn't turn out. I was so proud of the way this one turned out that I had to post it! Of course, it's still not as beautiful as the picture in the cookbook or the way my grandmother prepares it, but that's OK. It will take more practice for me to perfect mine! Below is the recipe; I found it easier than the Paula Deen recipe I used before. You should try it! Enjoy:)
3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
dash of salt
3 large eggs, separated
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (12 oz) package vanilla wafers
6 medium vanilla wafers
6 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine 3 1/2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, 1 1/3 cups of sugar, and a dash of salt in a heavy saucepan. Beat 3 egg yolks; combine egg yolks and 3 cups of milk, stirring well. Stir into the the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, and salt); cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened (similar to the consistency of a milk shake). Remove from heat; stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Layer one third of vanilla wafers in a 3-quart baking dish (or your choice). Slice 2 bananas, and layer over wafers. Pour one-third of custard over bananas. Repeat layers twice.
Beat 3 egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add 6 tablespoons of sugar, adding them one at a time. Beat until a stiff peak forms. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, and beat until blended.
Spread meringue over custard, sealing to edge of dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment